acute idiopathic polyneuritis
chronic familial polyneuritis
- 1. A
disease process involving a number of peripheral nerves (literal sense).
- 2. A
nontraumatic generalized disorder of peripheral nerves, affecting the distal
fibers most severely with proximal shading (i.e., feet, before, or more
severe, than hands), and typically symmetrical; most often affects motor
and sensory fibers almost equally, but can involve either one solely or
very disproportionately; classified as axon degenerating (axonal), or demyelinating;
many causes, particularly metabolic and toxic; familial or sporadic in nature.
Syn: polyneuritis. Syn: multiple neuritis, symmetric distal neuropathy.
- [poly- + G. neuron, nerve, + pathos, disease]
- acute inflammatory polyneuropathy
- alcoholic polyneuropathy
- arsenical polyneuropathy
- axonal polyneuropathy
- axon loss polyneuropathy
- buckthorn polyneuropathy
- chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy
- critical illness polyneuropathy
- demyelinating polyneuropathy
- diabetic polyneuropathy
- isoniazid polyneuropathy
- nitrofurantoin polyneuropathy
- nutritional polyneuropathy
- progressive hypertrophic polyneuropathy
- segmental demyelinating polyneuropathy
- uremic polyneuropathy
As opposed to:
Disorder involving a single nerve.
Mononeuropathy multiplex (sounds to
me like whoever named this meant a multiple of single nerves ...is that not Polyneuropathy?